Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Iowa State Fair

It's Iowa State Fair time. We went with friends, Addy, Brody and Evan on August 15. According to fair reports we were there with 99,516 other people! It was crowded and we noticed that especially when it started raining and everyone was running for cover. We ended up huddling under a tree, Liza was completely protected in her stroller, and Addy and Brody ducked under the tailgate of a gator. A little rain didn't dampen our spirits.

Within minutes of going through the entrance gate we spot a gentleman leading his flock of geese through the crowded streets. I couldn't believe my eyes when I looked closely - each goose was dressed up in an outfit. I scrambled for the camera and was able to take a shot before they were out of picture range. What a hoot - you never know what you'll see at the State Fair.

Addy and Brody played in the splash fountains and I think this picture is Brody "begging" Addy to go back in with him.

One of the indoor facilities is filled with the baby version of typical farm animals. It's an enclosed windowless room so I wasn't too thrilled about the smell. It was fun for the kids to see the animals and to touch some of them. This is Liza admiring the baby chicks. Addy and Brody's grandfather Wilson used to take them, when they were little, to see the baby chicks at our local farm store. I thought that was a great idea so I suggested it to Bair. He took Liza a few times and she loved it. What she didn't love so much was the time they went and the container was still there but all the baby chicks had been sold! I think there was a sweet girl meltdown then.

She had a lot of fun pressing up against the wire mesh and smiling for the camera.

No comments: