Monday, January 21, 2008

"Don't Just Stand There"



In an attempt to be a good husband, I thought I would do some research on what I should be doing during labor and delivery. This led me to a book titled "Don't Just Stand There". Much of the advice included in the book will surely be helpful, but some of it is likely to get me killed. Try to imagine what my fate would be if I said the following to Meg while she was agonizing through a contraction.

1) This is all so the baby can get to us.
2) Focus on a smooth easy birth.
3) Let the contraction wash over you.
4) Feel your body opening like a flower.
5) Fill your belly like a beautiful balloon.
6) Your hair looks great.
and one that would surely bring immediate bodily harm...
7) Breathe in through your belly button. Breathe out through your bottom.
With self-preservation in mind I think I will just do a lot of nodding and be a supportive punching bag.

2 comments:

Jenn said...

No matter what you do or do not do...at some point it will all be wrong. Don't try to figure it out...just go with it, smile and hug Meg when it's all over. We eventually forgive our husbands for anything stupid they say or do :) (After we get some prespective and realize that for an instant MAYBE we were being just a little irrational...but only for a moment!)

We've been stalking the house since Saturday :) Let us know if you need someone to take care of the dogs when the time comes!

Unknown said...

Back in "our day" Colleen and I read all the books--Brazelton, Spock etc. She has shelf-load of them,being a pediatric nurse and an avid reader..

After all that reading, I became a big fan of the wisdom of Lynn Johnston


try:


Things Are Looking Up... : A For Better or for Worse Collection

and, for a trip down memory lane:

What, Me Pregnant?

Lynn puts it into perspective PDQ.

That said, I want to echo Jenn's comment: ca. 15B human babies have been born on this earth. ~99% of the parents never read a single book. Yep, some of 'em are defective, deficient, delinquent, and declasse, but they made it through, nevertheless. God put some pretty good instincts into parents. Go with the flow. Just like at the amusement park, ya can't expect to control much. Enjoy the ride. Again, just like the amusement park, it will be over all-too-soon.

Mitch