Thursday, February 7, 2008

Grandmother Margie needs help

If you've been following the blog closely you'll notice that we've repeatedly changed the name used when referring to my Mother, Margie. It seems she can't decide what she'd like Liza to call her. We all know that Liza is advanced but I don't think we're in danger of words flowing out of her mouth any time soon. However that doesn't eliminate the need for Margie to pick a name she likes. Of course we'll all find it pretty funny when Liza spits out something entirely different than what we've tried to teach her. Margie wishes she could have a cute name like Giddy, the name her great niece and nephews call her brother, or like Nana and Gaggy what Chris' cousins and I call his grandparents. So we are asking for your participation...please post a comment with your suggestions. We've tried Gigi, Gran and maybe Mimi but nothing is sticking. My Daddy wants Liza to call him Popa so make sure your suggestion "fits" with that name. Thank goodness for Grandmother Sherra - she doesn't care what Liza calls her as long as we do a good job using the telephone lines and interstates that lead to Florida.

Since we have so much time on our hands and Liza's Daddy is experimenting with digital photography we couldn't resist sharing some of our latest images with you.

I should also say THANK YOU to everyone who has made Liza's arrival so joyous. So many of you have sent wonderful gifts (I'm behind on my thank you notes - I promise they'll be out soon) and because of your generosity we've been able to go into her room and find just about everything a little girl of two weeks could need. The outfit she has on in these pictures is a gift from our friends, the See family and the Boppy that she is lounging on came all the way from Knoxville, TN from my long-time friend Maxie. I'm going to try my best to acknowledge the gifts we show in the pictures; please forgive me if I miss some. While I'm thanking people I want to give huge thanks to my Mother - she has been here in this snowy weather fixing every meal, washing everything that is dirty, cleaning up the house and doing everything and anything she can think of to help us with our new journey. THANK YOU MOM - do you and Daddy want to move in?

Who Goes There?


One, two, three, four, five - yep they are all there!


Hi Mom!


Make My Day!

My Yet-to-be-named Grandmother Margie!

7 comments:

Jerry said...

Has Margie become Gigi? These are really great pictures. She looks so grown up. I am going to make reservations at American Girl for tea and a new doll.

I hope you all are having some fun. I can't wait for Liza to see Montreat and go rock hoping.

julie phelps bacon said...

okay people. i am here. i have silently been reading this blog religiously and now i feel the need to pipe in on NAMING GRANDPARENTS...
first i would like to say that my mother's name for her grandmother is my favorite in the world..."boo"...
apparently, it is short for "beautiful grandmother" (perfect for your mama) which is what they all used to say whenever boo would enter a room. (oh, bohpee (betsy), here comes your beautiful grandmother (boo gramma)"... )
one day, boo asked mom to shorten the "boo gamma" to just "boo"...
meanwhile, my mom now goes by bohpee (the name she called herself when she was young and couldn't say her own name and it stuck) and My grandmother, "Euphemie Labatut Tobin Phelps" (aka Boutine") declared her name one day when in the car i apparently said " me ME" apparently trying to talk about myself (i was very advanced too, liza... and have ALWAYS loved this topic) and my grandmother screamed out " she said my name! she said my name!" she has been meME ever since.
so there is my input. i won't even get into why we called my grandfather "george" (his name was howard b. peabody...)

ok, so , present to be put in teh mail tomorrow and meg if you DARE write me a thank you note, i will come up there and make you eat it. come to think of it, maybe i'll go ahead and write one for you and you can just stamp it and send it.

i miss you all and cannot wait to meet this little woman!
big hugs.
phelps, the elder

Anonymous said...

I've got a friend who calls her grandmother "Noni" (with a long "O" and a long "I" sound). My old neighbor in Oshkosh is called "GB" by her granddaughter (short for "Grandma Barb" which got too hard for the little one to say). Elliott actually named his paternal grandfather himself...he became "Boppa" when E couldn't say "grandpa." Nothing inspired, I know, but maybe something will trigger "THE" idea.

davy said...

My niece Hannah calls her grandma "Meh." But that's also what she calls the light switch, the dog, and Cheerios. She knows how to say "Jello" though.

Jerry said...

Well this is all so interesting. Good ideas abound. My suggestion for grandmother name is Mama which was my grandmother Cooley's name. Lots of good memories there.

Chow

Anonymous said...

Every one of those expressions on her face is an expression I have seen on yours, Meg! I love it! She looks exactly like you.

Jerry said...

What is the outcome? Do we have a name or are we going to wait and let Liza pick one. How about more pictures of Mom and Liza?