Friday, February 15, 2008

How some things change

Today at 4:15 pm we received excellent news - Liza gained weight! Since we've been home from the hospital she has likely lost and gained the same ounce several times; we just couldn't get forward momentum and by the two week mark she should have returned to her birth weight (9 pounds and 2 ounces). Fortunately, Liza was able to maintain 8 pounds and 10 ounces for a few weeks but we needed her to bulk up. Who would have guessed that a child of ours would have trouble putting on ounces! After several feeding experiments, tears from her Mother, encouragement from her Father and endless sessions of washing the pump accessories by her Grandmother Jones, Liza gained weight. On Wednesday she weighed in between 8 pounds 9 and 10 ounces and today she weighed 8 pounds 15 ounces! We were expecting a 1-2 ounce gain and let me tell you when the nurse said 8 pounds 15 ounces I almost didn't believe it; I had to check for myself. This 5 ounce gain was cause for celebration. Her Grandmother Jones and I celebrated by having hot tea and a diet coke and her Father, who was in Des Moines picking up the chair for nursery, celebrated by getting a Quizno's sub for dinner - my how things change. Before the arrival of our little bundle, celebrations could range from a night on the town to a good bottle of wine now a diet coke, a good sub and a healthy little girl are all we need.

5 comments:

Jerry said...

Way to go Liza and family. I can gain 16 ozs in a day with no problem. Try giving her a little Bud in her formula and see how quick she starts gaining.

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear the good report!

Anonymous said...

You go, girl!!

Now just remember how you feel when you start to get teary about putting away "newborn" clothes. :)

Go, Liza!
Nieka

Jenn said...

Yippee! Patience and persistence :) One of these days soon you'll wish she would STOP growing!!!

Anonymous said...

Meg and Chris, that is the cutest and smartest baby I've ever seen. I believe she is a little Einstein. Makes us so proud of the gift. Think she will spend many hours with it and might start working it herself. She really was talking to it-smiling too. Much love to all, Martha and Don


























I