Friday, September 18, 2009

Grinnell High School Homecoming Parade

Nights like last night remind me why I enjoy living in our wonderful small town. It's Homecoming for the Grinnell Tigers so downtown business windows have been painted and there was a parade last night to honor the occasion. As we made our way to the parade route we stopped and talked to many friends and it was so nice to see a town full of people all in one place supporting one cause - the children in our school systems! The Board of Education had a float in the parade, the local cement company sent one of their mixers and organizations like the Rotary and Lions Club put together an entry. It seems every float was tossing out candy and thank goodness Brea was standing with us to pick it all up. We didn't let Liza in on the secret so she had no idea what she was missing. She had fun watching Brea get it and stuff it in her Daddy's pockets. Thank goodness her Daddy found a friend with an empty plastic bag because his pockets were overflowing.

Brea, Liza and their Dads watching the parade and playing with sunglasses.

What's a parade without the high school marching band? I know there are children in this picture I should know but they grow up so quickly I can't keep up.

Our friend's daughter saw me before I saw her and I'm so glad she called out so I could take this cute picture of her. She is a great smiler for the camera!

I was trying to take some shots to give you a feel for the parade. Little did I know, until after the fact, that Brea's big sister Lexi is in this picture as well as our friend Kathy. This float is for the elementary school, I think.

Liza vocabulary continues to surprise us but we weren't surprised at all when she recognized all the tigers. She loves tigers! One tiger would pass and she'd say "more please" as if we could produce tigers on demand. Thankfully there were many tigers so it was never too long before another came along. One kind walking tiger tried to come up and say hello but both Brea and Liza gave him a scared sad face so he moved on.

I'm not sure what this entry was but the tigers theme is carried out well!


Now if they'll just get on with announcing Homecoming King and Queen...Grinnell anxiously awaits!

2 comments:

Sydney's Mommy said...

I love reading about your adventures in your town :)

Anonymous said...

This is such a cute parade. Almost as good as the Columbia Mule Day Parade!!! The town looks very nice, too. Love to you all.
Judi and Dick